Monday 2 April 2012

Ebony and Ivory Swatch China Glazes Hunger Games Collection - Part 1


So first off you should know that we're going to try and do combined posts too.  This is something we've been wanting to do for a while.  We thought it would be nice to be able to come to one place and see how something might look on darker and lighter skin or on different nail shapes. And not only that but taste wise we're pretty opposite. George leans towards brighter colours and glitter where I (Kas) lean towards warmer, and vampy colours, and prefer shimmer. But that doesn't mean we don't deviate.  Also we don't read each others reviews before posting them so it's fun to see when we have two wildly different opinions on things (See Smoke & Ashes :P). Anyways let's get this wheel of cheese rolling!

Quick intro! George is a big Hunger Games fan and I read the first book and I thought it was ok. She was excited for this collection.  I was neutral.  George is tall. I am average height. George bought 6 bottles from the collection.  I bought none.

Riveting (District 3 - Technology)
George
Kas
Kas: In the sun
Riveting is and Orange jelly with golden flecks.  We used 3 coats.

George: I love this colour. It's just so bright and shimmery and I love that it doesn't clash with my skin. It has a lot of depth and just seems to glow. This is definitely one of my must-have picks for this collection!

Kas: I really liked this colour in the bottle but I already knew I wouldn't like it on me.  I find most oranges look horrific on my skin tone. But the colour is by no means ugly.  It's beautiful and if you can work it.... work it :P Also it reminds me of a magical tangerine (because I see them all the time).


Dress Me Up (District 8 - Textiles)
Kas
George
Kas
George
Dress Me Up is a dusty pink cream.  We  both used 2 coats. But you may need 3 depending on how thick you do each coat.

Kas: I was unsure of this colour (as I always am at first of most pinks) but I was hopeful because it was a dusty pink and those are generally the types of pinks I like. I'm happy to say that I really liked it.  And the formula was flawless in my opinion.  This is also a great work safe polish.

George: Well, you already saw this on me in my Pirouette My Whistle post, but here it is again. Let me just say: I LOVE THIS. You all know my feelings about neutrals, but for some reason this one just won me over. I think it's because it's dusty and sophisticated while also being just plain pretty. I mean, look at it! Talk about the perfect neutral.

Smoke & Ashes (District 12 - Mining)
George
George: Sunlight
Kas: Sunlight
Kas: Sunlight
Smoke & Ashes is a black based polish with blue-green micro flecks.  We used 2 coats in the pictures.

George:  A lot of bloggers were disappointed with this colour, which is shocking to me, because I think it's amazing. The blue and green shimmer just come alive in almost any light, and the blackened base gives it versatility. I wore this with a flakie topcoat and the result was absolutely incredible. I just don't understand how anyone couldn't love this.

Kas: Now to be honest I wasn't too crazy over this collection.  But from the initial photos I thought this would be the one I bought. But after swatching it this was quite the disappointment. The flecks don't pop enough. The black om noms too much of it.  Now I love polishes with hidden secrets but the key is the secret can't be hidden forever. In theory this polish was a good idea. But it was executed poorly.

Well that's all for now.  Tomorrow we shall have the final 3 that we own up. 

Ciao!

6 comments:

  1. Lol I love the "magical tangerine" color!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love these polishes! I have Smoke and Ashes and Riveting too and I think they're amazing :) great swatches! Dress Me Up looks so smooth and creamy, it's next on the list for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I nominated you for award :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. love this post, riveting it stunning

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really enjoyed reading the (sometimes differing) opinions on these colours! Very fun post. LOL, and totally agree with you that the black base of Smoke and Ashes "om noms" too much of the shimmer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah, Riveting is so gorgeous and looks lovely on you! :D

    ~ Yun

    ReplyDelete

We love comments as much as we like bacon! And we LOVE bacon! But if you want us to check you out please go to the contact us tab up top and feel free to send us a message. Please don't SPAM!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...